Uncategorized

‘I’d win the debate’: Shark lays down challenge as feud with Tiger and Rory rolls on

Greg Norman has said that he would win a “debate” with Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy about the impact of LIV Golf on men’s professional golf.

Norman, who will step down as CEO of the Saudi-backed breakaway golf league later this year, has engaged in regular slanging matches with Woods and McIlroy in recent years as the PGA Tour and LIV Golf rivals have butted heads.

The latter pair would be relieved that the Australian is vacating such a vital role as the PGA Tour and LIV Golf work to a merger deal, with Woods calling for Norman to step aside back in 2022 because his “animosity towards the Tour itself” would inhibit negotiations.

McIlroy was far more direct, saying “Greg should exit stage left because no one is going to talk unless there’s an adult in the room”.

Norman meanwhile, has taken the opportunity in an interview with Australian Golf Digest, to say that he “would love to” sit down with Woods and McIlroy to talk through the state of the sport because he insists he would win the argument.

DALLAS, TEXAS – SEPTEMBER 20: Greg Norman of Australia The CEO of The LIV Golf Tour out watching on the course during day one of the LIV Golf Team Championship Dallas at Maridoe Golf Club on September 20, 2024 in Dallas, Texas. (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

“I would love to. I would love them to recognise the fact that – like Tiger with his PIP money [Player Impact Program] – that only came because of LIV, right? So Tiger benefited from that. Rory’s definitely benefited from that,” Norman said.

“I would love to sit down and talk to them about it, no question about it. Because I’m not a judgmental person and you only learn the facts and truth when you hear the other side of it.

“But, yes, would I like to sit down with them? Sure, absolutely. And you know what? I’d win the debate.”

Scott O’Neil, who has held many sports and entertainment management roles, including being CEO of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, will replace Norman as chief executive, and is likely to oversee an eventual peace deal between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf.

A merger between the factions was first formally put on the table in mid-2023, but is yet to come.

Even though he will not be at the helm going forward, Norman insists he will stay involved in LIV as he believes his impact has been too great to walk away entirely.

“Once my official tenure at LIV is up, which is August 31st of this year, I will stay involved with LIV in some way, shape or form. I’m going to stay on the board. So there will be that part of my life, but it won’t be as consuming as what it was before,” Norman said.

“When I look back on my past three-and-a-half years, from my past 20 years, oh my gosh, I really have changed the game of golf more than what people realise.”

At the DP World Tour’s Dubai Desert Classic last week, McIlroy made far more complimentary comments about Norman, but was also adamant that O’Neil is the right person for LIV.

“Greg took a lot of flak in the first couple of years,” McIlroy told The Guardian after his opening round.

“He’s probably one of the only people in golf that could have taken on that role. So he got it off the ground and you’ve got to commend him for that. Now it’s time for someone with a bit more experience to take over.

“I honestly don’t know what the future holds for them, but the moves they’re making, especially from an executive standpoint, it doesn’t look like they’re going to go away anytime soon.

“Scott was at our showdown match in Vegas [where PGA Tour paid McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler defeated LIV duo Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau] and so was Greg,” McIlroy added.

“Scott was at the first night of TGL too. He has got an amazing track record in terms of what he’s done in sport, in terms of managing different teams and groups of teams, ownership groups.

“He’s got the right credentials to take over a sports league. For LIV it’s probably a good move now that they’re established.”

Norman meanwhile has steered clear of TGL’s two matches so far.

He revealed that personal vendettas are the reasons for doing so, but reversed judgment on the concept itself, while saying he is always supportive of innovation.

“No, I haven’t watched a bit of it because there’s a couple of players who’ve been very vocal against me,” Norman said.

“So I’m not going to say anything positive or negative about it. All I can say is: the more golf gets exposure in different ways, the better off it is.

“Simulator golf is simulator golf. We had putt-putt and all those miniature golf courses we built around the world. I think innovation is a wonderful thing, I’m not going to belittle that. I wish them all the very best and success because it’s the market, right? They’re going to be pulling people into the game of golf.”

Related Posts

Rory McIlroy faces accusations over Masters injury admission – ‘Not buying it’

Golf star Rory McIlroy is facing accusations of downplaying his chances at the Masters by claiming he has an elbow injury. McIlroy is a top contender to win the tournament and secure…

Rory McIlroy forced to meet his ‘nemesis’ as pressure mounts on Northern Irishman

Rory McIlroy has been told the Masters is his ‘nemesis’ and that he always struggles to overcome the challenging Augusta course. The world No. 2 has never won the Masters but…

Tiger Woods Takes a Backseat as Ex-Coach Reveals Bryson DeChambeau’s ‘Rabbit Hole’ as the Most Remarkable Experience of His Career

As a golf coach, having Tiger Woods on your resume is the ultimate credential. For three years since 2014, Woods and his newly hired coach worked closely, but their collaboration…

The Nigerian Medical Student Who Shattered a 28-Year-Old Record at Obafemi Awolowo University

Aarinola Olaiya is a Nigerian medical student who has achieved remarkable academic excellence. She is the first student in 28 years to graduate with 12 distinctions from the…

Man loses $3,100 on store item he never received – a year of calls went unanswered but receipt changed everything

A MAN was left without answers for over a year after he paid $3,100 for a lawnmower repair that never came. James Atchison, who relies on a riding…

Did Elon Musk’s Mom Say The Poor Should Have More Kids So They Can Work In Elon’s Factories?

A post on X claims that Maye Musk, the mother of Tesla CEO Elon Musk, told Fox News that “the poor should have kids, so [Elon’s] factories have…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *