News

John Bolton warns: I’m ‘very worried’ about how Trump would handle ‘much more likely’ international crisis

John Bolton, President-elect Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, said that an international crisis is “much more likely” during the Republican’s second term.

Bolton, who served as Trump’s national security adviser from 2018 to 2019, told The Guardian the president-elect has an “inability to focus” and bases his decisions on personal relationships and “neuron flashes.”

“It’s typical Trump: it’s all braggadocio,” Bolton told the outlet. “The world is more dangerous than when he was president before. The only real crisis we had was COVID, which is a long-term crisis and not against a particular foreign power but against a pandemic.”

“But the risk of an international crisis of the 19th-century variety is much more likely in a second Trump term,” he added. “Given Trump’s inability to focus on coherent decision-making, I’m very worried about how that might look.”

The 76-year-old was no stranger to the defense world when he joined Trump’s administration. He served as Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security from 2001 to 2005 and Ambassador to the United Nations from 2005 to 2006.

Bolton said he expected Trump to rise to the occasion during his first term, as many other presidents had done before him.

“What I believed was that, like every American president before him, the weight of the responsibilities, certainly in national security, the gravity of the issues that he was confronting, the consequences of his decisions, would discipline his thinking in a way that would produce serious outcomes,” Bolton told The Guardian.

“It turned out I was wrong,” he continued.

“By the time I got there a lot of patterns of behaviour had already been set that were never changed and it could well be, even if I had been there earlier, I couldn’t have affected it. But it was clear pretty soon after I got there that intellectual discipline wasn’t in the Trump vocabulary.”

Bolton previously slammed Trump’s cabinet picks as well, explaining he was likely selecting them based on loyalty rather than their philosophies or qualifications.

“And the word loyalty is often used,” Bolton told CNN last month. “I think that’s the wrong word. Actually, I think what Trump wants from his advisors is fealty, really a futile sense of subservience.”

“And you know, he may get that, but I will tell you that that will not serve him well over the course of his next term, and it certainly won’t serve the country well,” he continued.

Bolton left Trump’s administration in September 2019, noting he left after months of disagreement with the Republican. Trump later claimed he fired Bolton.

Since leaving his administration, Bolton has been an outspoken critic of Trump. In 2020, he published The Room Where it Happened: A White House Memoir, a scathing account of his experience serving in his first administration.

“I don’t think he’s fit for office,” Bolton said during an interview with ABC News about the book’s release.

“I don’t think he has the competence to carry out the job.”

The Independent is the world’s most free-thinking news brand, providing global news, commentary and analysis for the independently-minded. We have grown a huge, global readership of independently minded individuals, who value our trusted voice and commitment to positive change. Our mission, making change happen, has never been as important as it is today.

Related Posts

BREAKING: Alec Baldwin lost an $86 million sponsorship deal after calling Elon Musk a “damn idiot” and saying, “I can’t live here for 4 years

Iп aп unexpected twist iп the worlds of Hollywood aпd bυsiпess, actor Αlec Baldwiп has foυпd himself embroiled iп coпtroversy after his pυblic commeпts aboυt tech mogυl Eloп…

23 US states sue the Trump administration

Attorneys general and other officials from 23 states filed the lawsuit in federal court in Rhode Island on April 1. They include New York Attorney General Letitia James…

BOLD STATEMENT: Travis Kelce of the Chiefs announces he’s leaving Elon Musk’s X app, calling it a “toxic waste dump” after scathing and hurtful comments about Taylor Swift

In an unprecedented move that has sent shockwaves through both the sports and social media worlds, NFL superstar Travis Kelce has announced his departure from Elon Musk’s social…

Sh0cking news: Tesla shareholders demand Elon Musk share ‘five things he’s done for them this week’ following major crash.nana

Tesla shareholders don’t seem best pleased with their CEO after demanding that Elon Musk share ‘five things he’s done for them this week’. The jibe appeared to use Musk’s own…

Karoline Leavitt exposed the true face of Whoopi Goldberg and “The View” during a live television appearance, sparking heated debates about the show’s relevance and facing the possibility of a permanent ban

In a recent direct appearance, Karoline Leavitt has attracted attention when cleverly exposing what she thought was the true nature of Whoopi Goldberg and the “The View” program….

Justin Bieber Announces He’s Selling All His Real Estate In Red States And Plans To Leave The US After Acrimonious Clash With Elon Musk

In an unexpected event, pop star Justin Bieber gave up his music career at the age of 30 and revealed the plan to move away from the United…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *