Sports

‘We definitely tried something new’ – Jacques Nienaber offers explanation on Leinster’s lineout mess

Leinster senior coach Jacques Nienaber has offered an explanation into his side’s lineout mishaps from Saturday’s Investec Champions Cup win against Clermont Auvergne, admitting his team were trying out a new set-up ahead of a tweak to the laws next month.

The province appeared to have a complete meltdown on their own throw, winning just nine of their 16 throws, which contributed significantly to a patchy overall performance against the French side.

When asked about what went so badly wrong for them to get just over a 50% return on their own lineout ball, Nienaber explained how they had been using a new calling routine.

Last month, World Rugby confirmed a number of law changes which will come into effect from next month and are designed to speed up the game, one of which will be putting a 30-second limit on how long it takes to set up a lineout.

Nienaber and South Africa head coach Rassie Erasmus have previously had a reputation for innovation – with Damian Willemse calling a ‘mark’ inside his own 22 against France at the World Cup a prime example.

And Leinster’s Mad Scientist says their brutal lineout return was simply a case of some test tubes blowing up in their faces.

“Obviously with anything you try out, there is going to be a couple of hiccups, and you could rightly see there were a couple of hiccups,” Nienaber (below) told.

“It’s stuff we’re going to have to iron out going forward.

“We definitely tried something new and something different in our lineouts that we feel will benefit us going forward. I don’t want to give it away too much about what we’re trying to do, but there were definitely some sort of creative things that we were trying to install from a lineout point of view.”

Saturday’s litany of errors at the setpiece appeared to be a culmination of repeated struggles, which Clermont took advantage of.

But Nienaber was quick to highlight how Leinster’s lineout has been consistent this season, with an 88% return in the URC, while they won 90% on their own throw the previous week against Bristol.

And while the Leinster senior coach admits they took a big risk in road-testing their new strategy in such an important game, he feels it may help them get ahead of the game next month, when referees begin to become stricter on forward packs having small gatherings before every throw.

“It’s not just the speeding up. It’s something that’s going to become more and more relevant, not making huddles and referees are going to be very strict on it from the first of January.

“It’s something we feel we can grow within our game and that we can evolve and get better

“One can look back at it and say ‘maybe not in Europe’ but for us to get a genuine feel of how we would be put under pressure against top teams, we wanted to try it out in a big game to see if things work, and get answers – failing it and rectifying it.

“We have some nice footage now and for us it’s important that we iron it out, and we will work extremely hard at it. We’re trying to be as creative as possible.

Thers will be a clampdown on the time it takes to set up a lineout as if next month

“It was something we have been trying in training sessions for a couple of weeks, but when consequences mean nothing it’s always easier to execute on the training pitch.

“It was a great learning. Like I said, you want it tested against quality opposition, and where they will find gaps within the things you try to implement, and they did find gaps.

“It’s now up to us a group as players and coaches to find solutions and fix it,” he added.

On the injury front, the province are hopeful that prop Thomas Clarkson and wing Jordan Larmour could be fit to play against Connacht when they host their neighbours in the URC on Saturday at Aviva Stadium.

Clarkson is being evaluated for an arm injury, while Larmour missed out on the win over Clermont due to a minor knock.

Liam Turner has been ruled out of the pre-Christmas Interpro, with an ankle injury seeing him join Dan Sheehan, Rob Russell, Will Connors, Jamie Os𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧e, Tadhg Furlong, Ciarán Frawley, Hugo Keenan and James Lowe on what is now a growing list of players unavailable.

Related Posts

Cómo afectó el retiro al espíritu competitivo de Rafael Nadal

In the latest interview, Rafael Nadal says that his successful career and winning 92 titles haven’t changed him as a person and that he gave everything he had….

“Only losers complain.” Bryce Harper’s true statement regarding the Dodgers and Shohei Ohtani

PHILADELPHIA − Bryce Harper wasn’t holding the Dodgers or their superstar player Shohei Ohtani in awe heading into the Phillies’ three-game series with the defending World Series champions Friday…

“No volvería a jugar”: la memoria más complicada de Rafael Nadal en la pista de tenis

El extenista recordó uno de los momentos más duros de su carrera. Rafael Nadal dejó una gran marca en el tenis español y en el deporte mundial. El oriundo…

Following an incredible Dodgers walk-off home run, Shohei Ohtani dons a T-shirt of himself

Given Ohtani is by far the biggest superstar in the MLB, it’s fitting the Dodgers DH wore a shirt of himself traveling for a huge series against the…

After Shohei Ohtani’s walk-off, the Dodgers’ unbeaten start leaves MLB superstars in the dust

When Shohei Ohtani stepped up to the plate on his bobblehead night at Dodger Stadium with a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, it wasn’t a…

มาแล้ว “ซิลวา เม็กเซส” เปิดใจหลังทีมชาติไทย U17 แพ้อุซเบกิสถาน ชิงแชมป์เอเชีย นัดแรก

มาแล้ว “ซิลวา เม็กเซส” ดาวรุ่งแมนยูฯ เปิดใจหลังทีมชาติไทย U17 แพ้อุซเบกิสถาน ชิงแชมป์เอเชีย นัดแรก วันที่ 4 เมษายน 2568 ซิลวา เม็กเซส กองหน้าลูกครึ่งไทย-อังกฤษ วัย 15 ปี จากแมนเชสเตอร์ ยูไนเต็ด สโมสรดังในพรีเมียร์ลีก อังกฤษ เปิดใจผ่านโซเชียลมีเดียส่วนตัว หลังจบนัดแรกในศึกฟุตบอลชิงแชมป์เอเชีย รุ่นอายุไม่เกิน 17 ปี…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *